Follow me on Twitter: @You_Total_Cult.
In the short term, the YTC podcast can currently be found at http://www.chrisandphilpresent.co.uk/blogs/youtotalcult/
The blog below was under an older name of Hollyweird. I have kept the numbering the same so that I could keep track of my posts, but this is where it all begin back in the heyday of 2012…
This entries title is a blatent lie as I am about to do a quick update on my last week.
I’ve now been awake nearly 30hours and I am rather hungover. Consequently I am doing this post with brevity via a mental haze of confusion. Of course, whether being up 30hours and stupidly drunk is a sign of a good festival or a problematic one is a little too close a call for me to make…
So in no particular order here are a few misc. things from helping to film Frightfest The 13th!!!
“Wanna buy a peg?”
A right pair of old Cults
http://www.facebook.com/YouTotalCult is now officially cleared by Simon Pegg. Craig had a word and we were fine to rip off the Spacedhttp://www.facebook.com/YouTotalCult pun. Which is just as well since we would have kept it anyway.
Maggot- Baby, the other, OTHER white meat.
2) Finally saw the most complete version of Nightbreed available. At a mighty 160mins, Nightbreed: The Cabal Cut is a fascinating vision at how much was butchered from the released version- but it is also a fascinating to relaise that some of it should have been! This version is way too long and repetitive at the end, but there’s not doubt that the new first half is a vastly superior version of the film.
Hungry Like The Wolf
Werewolves seem to be cropping up a lot lately. Only a few weeks after my Werewolf post, and my new werewolf tattoo, I en d upfilming Sean ‘Dog Soldiers’ Pertwee and interviewing ‘Katherine ‘Ginger Snaps’ Isabelle. Both were lovely, but bonus points for Katherine because I’ve had a crush on her for years. Sadly she’s deeply in love with hey boyfriend, otherwise I think she would have pounced on me. Maybe. Possibly. Right…..?
This would be before I massively cocked up the filming of the first interview. And the third.
Depsite my dubious Camerman (sorry, ‘Camera Person’) skills, that was my main duty over th week. However in a moment of madness, Jen asked me if I wanted to do the actual on-Camera interviews at the media wall. Given my general arrogance I said ‘sure’. It was only when Intewrviewed actors of American Mary that I realised I actually had no questions prepared. Whoops…………….. Cue lots of panicked flaffing as I talked crap and vaguely led them to make interesting comments without any actual questions. Still, actor John Emmet Tracy came up me at the after party and thanked me so I can confirm he is quite the classy gent.
Still, at least I’d seen their film! interviewing Jenniffer Lynch without seeing her new film, Chained, was a bit tougher. Fortunately Jenniffer was super-lovely and we got through it via me contsabntly bringing up her last film, Surveilance. Because,well, I’d seen it.
5, 6, 7 etc.)
Billy Chainsaw is still, as ever, the man.
I really need to go out for some food and fizzy pop I’m just going to put a few bits and bobs now.
– The crew were awesome. Crews usually are since you’re working long hours for buger all. Ta dude and dudettes.
– I didn’t get to see many films with the amount of work on, but I was lucky to acatch a few. Particular highlights of upcoming films are
Maniac– disturbing but unique. Elijah Wood is hitting a career-high point between this and his work on Wilfred.
Berberian Sound Studio– incredibly filmed and astounding to experience. However I’d say it makes its one point repeatedly and that took me out of it whilst I waited for it to end anfter an hour.
Sinister– A very generic haunted house/possession film, but really well crafted. Scary when it needs to be, funny when it’s supposed to be and starring total-due Ethan Hawke makes this a very solid watch.
American Mary– Body-mod horror. This stood out by a mile in a festival of rapists, ghosts and slashers depsite having two of those elements. Unique and interesting but not for eveyone.
– Big thanks to my sister Debra for putting me up despite my coming and going at 5am.
– Greg Nictoerro and Steven Barker were great guys to film. Really approachable and took their time to just chill and tell stories, oh and Steve gave signed DVD’s to the crew of Outpost II. Only guy to give us anything depsite being one of the less fmaous interviews. Top bloke!
– The Twisted Sisters story. Only those there will ever know…..
– It was pretty cool to see my name on the Empire’s massive screen when the interview segments were put on. It even cooler to note that Craig had not in fact listed me as C*ntface, as threatened.
The catering sucked.
I have no doubt that I am missing a heck of a lot of stuff here. But hell, if you want more then volunteer to help film the damn thing yourselves!